Security Features in Web Security
The World Wide Web or the internet has now become an inseparable part of our lives. We prefer to use it, weather we are doing a mundane job like ordering in our groceries or doing a secretive data transfer or ant financial activity. But the major concern that hogs our minds is that how so ever smart we are and protect all our online activities, there are certain areas of concerns when it comes to security of these activities. The online exchange of information or transfer of data is always susceptible to attacks. There have been instances of online frauds, confidential data thefts and cyber-attacks. Web security is that branch of computer security system that deals with all these problems.
Every website is prone to such threats. Your website is connected to a network through servers and these servers also might have security issues. These security risks need to be attended to and have to be minimised to avoid any loss of valuable data or misuse of resources. The more your server is complicated and the more your website has applications on it the more it is susceptible to get corrupted or attacked. The safest mode for your web server is the “turn off” mode! If you are running an organization/company it is important to track all the web traffic to avoid an employee causing embarrassment by visiting illegal or objectionable stuff online. One would also like to control the web usage by employees especially for personal use. The biggest threat comes in form of malicious software or malware which can be transported into your system to cause potential data losses and a lot of hassle. Here comes in web security.
To provide web security to your website you should have firewalls, anti-virus protection in place and you should run IPS/IDS. But when these threats are growing and are becoming dynamic in nature you need more than that. There are a number of companies that offer web security solutions of all sorts of levels. But the key features in almost all of these solutions remains to be these:
- They ensure that while all the relevant information is available to authorised persons, it is protected from hackers and even from people within the company who do not need it or may misuse it. Encryption is a technique used to do so. Conventional web based SSL encryption ensures that the data stays intact between the two parties involved.
- These solutions protect the network from getting exposed to any kind of malware through the internet.
- Web traffic, especially the outbound traffic like the emails are properly scanned so that there is no data dripping or data leaks.
- Running these solutions ensures that the company does not land into any legal hassles because some irresponsible employee decided to check out a restricted site. Access to such sites is blocked.
- There is always a provision of creating filters which allow or deny access to data.
- These solutions are also equipped to analyse any malware if an incidence be so that it can be dealt with properly with minimum damage.
- There are provisions of using digital signatures to verify that the incoming or outgoing information is from the correct person and ensures data integrity.
When you have a website one of the many important parameters that ensure its security is its source code. It is this website code that ensures the level of exposure that your website has to the potential threats. Extremely experienced programmers are required to write codes that are perfect and have no security holes. Each time your website is approached and any type of data exchange is done like if your website requires filling up of forms, adding a cart, search for a location or log on an account, there is a possibility of hackers putting harmful contents into your website. A good code will ensure that only useful information comes in and goes out and the website is not attacked. So we can say that website code plays a vital role in web security of your web site.